1. (of actions or states) slightly short of or not quite accomplished; `near' is sometimes used informally for `nearly' and `most' is sometimes used informally for `almost';
- "the job is (just) about done"
- "the baby was almost asleep when the alarm sounded"
- "we're almost finished"
- "the car all but ran her down"
- "he nearly fainted"
- "talked for nigh onto 2 hours"
- "the recording is well-nigh perfect"
- "virtually all the parties signed the contract"
- "I was near exhausted by the run"
- "most everyone agrees"