Check the oil at regular intervals, and have the car serviced regularly.
Someone comes in every day to check all is in order.
Sex education is also expected to help check the spread of AIDS.
Check out the BBC Learning Scotland blog on exams.
Check back next month for another strip from Ed.
Check the beautifully cosmic sax on the title track.
She checked for a moment in the dance and missed a step.
The accounts check.
The horse checked before he jumped.
If you check something such as a piece of information or a document, you make sure that it is correct or satisfactory.
Check the accuracy of everything in your CV...
It's worth checking each item for obvious flaws...
I think there is an age limit, but I'd have to check...
She hadn't checked whether she had a clean ironed shirt...
He checked that he had his room key...
I shall need to check with the duty officer.
He is being constantly monitored with regular checks on his blood pressure.
...a security check.
If you check on someone or something, you make sure they are in a safe or satisfactory condition.
Stephen checked on her several times during the night...
He decided to check on things at the warehouse.
If you check something that is written on a piece of paper, you put a mark, like a V with the right side extended, next to it to show that something is correct or has been selected or dealt with.
V n AM 美
Frequently, men who check answer (b) have not actually had the experience of being repeatedly rejected by women.
To check something, usually something bad, means to stop it from spreading or continuing.
Sex education is also expected to help check the spread of AIDS.
...free press that will check corruption by ensuring total transparency in government.
If you check yourself or if something checks you, you suddenly stop what you are doing or saying.
V pron-refl V n
He was about to lose his temper but checked himself in time...
I held up one finger to check him.
When you check your luggage at an airport, you give it to an official so that it can be taken on to your plane.
V n V n prep/adv V P n (not pron) Also V n P
We arrived at the airport, checked our baggage and wandered around the gift shops...
You can check your baggage right through to its final destination.
The check in a restaurant is a piece of paper on which the price of your meal is written and which you are given before you pay.
mainly AM 主美
In a game of chess, you say check when you are attacking your opponent's king.
A pattern of squares, usually of two colours, can be referred to as checks or a check .
oft N n
Styles include stripes and checks.
...a red and white check dress.
If something or someone is held in check or is kept in check, they are controlled and prevented from becoming too great or powerful.
Life on Earth will become unsustainable unless population growth is held in check...
He's found someone with a bit of fight to keep him in check.
A check is the same as a cheque .
vt. & vi.
The accounts check.
阻碍, 制止; 抑制
He checked his horse sharply.
A change of wind checked the fire.
Please check the correct answer.
It's an invalid cheque.
The merchandise does not check with invoice.
He went forward a few steps,checked and turned back.
□ Please check here if you are married.
Painted surfaces may check with age.
When you attack the king you will say “Check!”
1. a written order directing a bank to pay money;
- " "he paid all his bills by check" "
2. an appraisal of the state of affairs;
- " "they made an assay of the contents" "
- " "a check on its dependability under stress" "
3. the bill in a restaurant;
- " "he asked the waiter for the check" "
4. the state of inactivity following an interruption;
- " "the negotiations were in arrest" "
- " "held them in check" "
- " "during the halt he got some lunch" "
- " "the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow" "
- " "he spent the entire stop in his seat" "
5. additional proof that something that was believed (some fact or hypothesis or theory) is correct;
- " "fossils provided further confirmation of the evolutionary theory" "
6. the act of inspecting or verifying;
- " "they made a check of their equipment" "
- " "the pilot ran through the check-out procedure" "
7. a mark indicating that something has been noted or completed etc.;
- " "as he called the role he put a check mark by each student's name" "
8. something immaterial that interferes with or delays action or progress
9. a mark left after a small piece has been chopped or broken off of something
10. a textile pattern of squares or crossed lines (resembling a checkerboard);
- " "she wore a skirt with checks" "
11. the act of restraining power or action or limiting excess;
- " "his common sense is a bridle to his quick temper" "
12. obstructing an opponent in ice hockey
13. (chess) a direct attack on an opponent's king
1. examine so as to determine accuracy, quality, or condition;
- " "check the brakes" "
- " "Check out the engine" "
2. make an examination or investigation;
- " "check into the rumor" "
- " "check the time of the class" "
3. be careful or certain to do something; make certain of something;
- " "He verified that the valves were closed" "
- " "See that the curtains are closed" "
- " "control the quality of the product" "
4. lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits;
- " "moderate your alcohol intake" "
- " "hold your tongue" "
- " "hold your temper" "
- " "control your anger" "
5. stop for a moment, as if out of uncertainty or caution;
- " "She checked for an instant and missed a step" "
6. put a check mark on or next to;
- " "Please check each name on the list" "
- " "tick off the items" "
7. slow the growth or development of;
- " "The brain damage will retard the child's language development" "
8. be verified or confirmed; pass inspection;
- " "These stories don't check!" "
9. be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics;
- " "The two stories don't agree in many details" "
- " "The handwriting checks with the signature on the check" "
- " "The suspect's fingerprints don't match those on the gun" "
10. block or impede (a player from the opposing team) in ice hockey
11. train by instruction and practice; especially to teach self-control;
- " "Parents must discipline their children" "
- " "Is this dog trained?" "
12. consign for shipment on a vehicle;
- " "check your luggage before boarding" "
13. hand over something to somebody as for temporary safekeeping;
- " "Check your coat at the door" "
14. abandon the intended prey, turn, and pursue an inferior prey, of falcons
15. stop in a chase especially when scent is lost;
- " "The dog checked" "
16. mark into squares or draw squares on; draw crossed lines on
17. decline to initiate betting
18. hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of;
- " "Arrest the downward trend" "
- " "Check the growth of communism in Sout East Asia" "
- " "Contain the rebel movement" "
- " "Turn back the tide of communism" "
19. place into check;
- " "He checked my kings" "
20. write out a check on a bank account
21. find out, learn, or determine with certainty, usually by making an inquiry or other effort;
- " "I want to see whether she speaks French" "
- " "See whether it works" "
- " "find out if he speaks Russian" "
- " "Check whether the train leaves on time" "
22. verify by consulting a source or authority;
- " "check the spelling of this word" "
- " "check your facts" "
23. arrest the motion (of something) abruptly;
- " "He checked the flow of water by shutting off the main valve" "
24. make cracks or chinks in;
- " "The heat checked the paint" "
25. become fractured; break or crack on the surface only;
- " "The glass cracked when it was heated" "
To register, as at a hotel. 在旅馆登记住宿
To settle one's bill and leave a hotel or other place of lodging. 结帐离开：结帐并且离开旅馆或其它住所
To withdraw (an item) after recording the withdrawal 办妥手续之后取出（某物）
check out books.
To record and total up the prices of and receive payment for (items being purchased) at a retail store 收款：零售商店中对所购商品的记录、计价及收款
The cashier checked out and bagged my order.
To look over; examine 查看；检查
The teacher checked the students' papers over.
check someone/thing skeef
(S. African)give someone or something a disapproving look (南非)向某人（某物）不满地看一看
(S. African)goodbye (南非)再见
under control 被控制住
a way of keeping inflation in check.
(Chess)(of a king) directly attacked by an opponent's piece or pawn; (of a player) having the king in this position (棋)（王）被将军；（棋手的）王被将军
keep a check on
keep a regular check on your score.
check in ( 或 check someone in)
arrive and register at a hotel or airport （到旅馆或机场）登记，入住，到达
you must check in at least one hour before take-off.
they check in the passengers.
check something in
have one's baggage weighed and put aside for consignment to the hold of an aircraft on which one is booked to travel （在机场）托运（行李）
register one's arrival at (a hotel) 登记入住（旅馆）
check something off
tick or otherwise mark an item on a list to show that it has been dealt with 在表上列项处打钩（或作记号）
verify, ascertain, or monitor the state or condition of 核实；查明；监控
the doctor had come to check on his patient.
another way of saying check up on 同 check up on
check someone/thing out
establish the truth or inform oneself about someone or something 查实；了解
they decided to go and check out a local restaurant.
(chiefly N. Amer.)enter the price of goods in a supermarket into a cash machine for addition and payment by a customer (主北美)（将货物价格输入超市收银机相加）计算出（顾客）应付款
check something over
inspect or examine something thoroughly 彻底检查；彻底调查
简介 热血精灵Check（韩国，暗夜精灵，星际争霸2中使用虫族）。 姓名：Lee Hyung Ju 国籍：韩国 ID：Prime.Check背景故事 CHECK的名字可以追溯到很久以前ROC的时代，这个精灵族很原始的祖先就如同KOG一样，真的，显得稳健而有力。说起来，这个和FOV差不多身材的暗夜选手以前是用兽人的，他用的暗夜里传承了兽人血液里刚猛的气质，打法剽悍而猛烈，我死兵不要紧，我死几个你也得死几个，这是他一贯的信念。当然这是你在交战的时候
Middle English (originally as used in the game of chess): the noun and exclamation from Old French eschec, from medieval Latin scaccus, via Arabic from Persian šāh 'king'; the verb from Old French eschequier 'play chess, put in check'. The sense 'stop, restrain, or control' arose from the use in chess, and led (in the late 17th cent.) to 'examine the accuracy of, verify'
late Middle English: probably from chequer