- 1. Circumstances dictated that they played a defensive rather than attacking game.
- 2. Like their children, parents are often defensive about their private lives.
1. an attitude of defensiveness (especially in the phrase `on the defensive')
- synonym： defensive attitude
1. intended or appropriate for defending against or deterring aggression or attack;
- "defensive weapons"
- "a defensive stance"
- antonym： offensive
2. attempting to justify or defend in speech or writing
3. serving as or appropriate for defending or protecting;
- "defensive fortifications"
- "defensive dikes to protect against floods"