- 4. Warnings of an enemy attack forced the troops onto the defensive.
1. an attitude of defensiveness (especially in the phrase `on the defensive')
- synonym： defensive attitude
1. intended or appropriate for defending against or deterring aggression or attack;
- "defensive weapons"
- "a defensive stance"
- antonym： offensive
2. attempting to justify or defend in speech or writing
3. serving as or appropriate for defending or protecting;
- "defensive fortifications"
- "defensive dikes to protect against floods"
- 2. 守势
- 3. 防御性