- 1. The Ministry desperately tried to hush up the whole affair.
- 2. The Conservative Government was only too quick to hush him up.
- 3. The crime was so base that everyone wanted to hush it up.
- 4. I had to box Max's ears to get him to hush.
- 5. Apparently there's a very hush-hush project under way up north.
1. (poetic) tranquil silence;
1. become quiet or still; fall silent;
2. cause to be quiet or not talk;
- "Please silence the children in the church!"
3. become quiet or quieter;
- "The audience fell silent when the speaker entered"
4. wash by removing particles;
5. run water over the ground to erode (soil), revealing the underlying strata and valuable minerals