Solid low-level waste will be disposed of deep underground.
Doctor believed that his low sperm count was the problem.
With a low-pitched rumbling noise, the propeller began to rotate.
Whisk again on low until the mixture is glossy.
Newsround gives you the low-down on the key figures.
But faith in leaders of all sides is low.
He is a man of low birth.
You'll need to change into a lower gear when going up this hill.
He keeps low company.
Something that is low measures only a short distance from the bottom to the top, or from the ground to the top.
...the low garden wall that separated the front garden from next door...
She put it down on the low table...
The country, with its low, rolling hills was beautiful...
The Leisure Center is a long and low modern building.
If something is low, it is close to the ground, to sea level, or to the bottom of something.
He bumped his head on the low beams...
It was late afternoon and the sun was low in the sky...
They saw a government war plane make a series of low-level bombing raids.
...nagging low back pain.
When a river is low, it contains less water than usual.
usu v-link ADJ
...pumps that guarantee a constant depth of water even when the supplying river is low.
You can use low to indicate that something is small in amount or that it is at the bottom of a particular scale. You can use phrases such as in the low 80s to indicate that a number or level is less than 85 but not as little as 80.
British casualties remained remarkably low...
They are still having to live on very low incomes...
The temperature's in the low 40s.
Low is used to describe people who are not considered to be very important because they are near the bottom of a particular scale or system.
usu ADJ n
She refused to promote Colin above the low rank of 'legal adviser'.
If something reaches a low of a particular amount or degree, that is the smallest it has ever been.
Eventually my weight stabilised at seven and a half stone after dropping to a low of five and a half stone...
The dollar fell to a new low.
If you drive or ride a bicycle in a low gear, you use a gear, usually first or second, which gives you the most control over your car or bicycle when travelling slowly.
She selected a low gear and started down the track carefully.
If the quality or standard of something is low, it is very poor.
A school would not accept low-quality work from any student...
The inquiry team criticises staff at the psychiatric hospital for the low standard of care.
If a food or other substance is low in a particular ingredient, it contains only a small amount of that ingredient.
They look for foods that are low in calories.
If you describe someone such as a student or a worker as a low achiever, you mean that they are not very good at their work, and do not achieve or produce as much as others.
Low achievers in schools will receive priority.
...if there are strikes by unrewarded low performers.
If you have a low opinion of someone or something, you disapprove of them or dislike them.
The majority of sex offenders have a low opinion of themselves...
I have an extremely low opinion of the British tabloid newspapers.
You can use low to describe negative feelings and attitudes.
We are all very tired and morale is low...
People had very low expectations.
If a sound or noise is low, it is deep.
Then suddenly she gave a low, choking moan and began to tremble violently...
My voice has got so low now I was mistaken for a man the other day on the phone.
If someone's voice is low, it is quiet or soft.
Her voice was so low he had to strain to catch it.
A light that is low is not bright or strong.
Their eyesight is poor in low light.
If a radio, oven, or light is on low, it has been adjusted so that only a small amount of sound, heat, or light is produced.
She turned her little kitchen radio on low...
Buy a dimmer switch and keep the light on low, or switch it off altogether...
Cook the sauce over a low heat until it boils and thickens.
If you are low on something or if a supply of it is low, there is not much of it left.
We're a bit low on bed linen...
World stocks of wheat were getting very low.
If you are low, you are depressed.
'I didn't ask for this job, you know,' he tells friends when he is low.
If a disease or illness lays you low, it makes you weak or ill.
...an undiagnosed medical condition that laid him low for months.
If you are lying low, you are hiding or not drawing attention to yourself.
V inflects INFORMAL 非正式
Far from lying low, Kuti became more outspoken than ever.
低的, 矮的, 离地面近的
He is a man of low birth.
They lived on low diet.
意志消沉的, 情绪低落的, 虚弱的, 沮丧的, 无精打采的
Finding her in low spirits, they had persuaded her to join them for lunch.
She always feels low.
低, 向下; 低微地
The sun sank low in the sky.
Speak lower or he'll hear you.
Output was at a record low.
You should put a car in low.
1. an air mass of lower pressure; often brings precipitation;
- " "a low moved in over night bringing sleet and snow" "
2. a low level or position or degree;
- " "the stock market fell to a new low" "
3. the lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle; used to start a car moving
1. make a low noise, characteristic of bovines
1. less than normal in degree or intensity or amount;
- " "low prices" "
- " "the reservoire is low" "
2. literal meanings; being at or having a relatively small elevation or upward extension;
- " "low ceilings" "
- " "low clouds" "
- " "low hills" "
- " "the sun is low" "
- " "low furniture" "
- " "a low bow" "
3. very low in volume;
- " "a low murmur" "
- " "the low-toned murmur of the surf" "
4. unrefined in character;
- " "low comedy" "
5. used of sounds and voices; low in pitch or frequency
6. of the most contemptible kind;
- " "abject cowardice" "
- " "a low stunt to pull" "
- " "a low-down sneak" "
- " "his miserable treatment of his family" "
- " "You miserable skunk!" "
- " "a scummy rabble" "
- " "a scurvy trick" "
7. low or inferior in station or quality;
- " "a humble cottage" "
- " "a lowly parish priest" "
- " "a modest man of the people" "
- " "small beginnings" "
8. no longer sufficient;
- " "supplies are low" "
- " "our funds are depleted" "
9. subdued or brought low in condition or status;
- " "brought low" "
- " "a broken man" "
- " "his broken spirit" "
10. low in spirits;
- " "lonely and blue in a strange city" "
- " "depressed by the loss of his job" "
- " "a dispirited and resigned expression on her face" "
- " "downcast after his defeat" "
- " "feeling discouraged and downhearted" "
11. being the gear producing the lowest drive speed;
- " "use first gear on steep hills" "
1. in a low position; near the ground;
- " "the branches hung low" "
- 1.少筋梁, low-reinforced beam
- 2.低温水, low-temperature hot water
- 3.低热水泥, low-heat Portland cement
- 1.低［气］压,［pressure］, depression 水平气压场上气压比四周低的区域。
- 2.低空急流, low-level jet stream 对流层低层(850hPa附近)出现的急流。
- 3.低空风切变, low-level wind shear 离地约600m高度以下风的水平或垂直切变现象。
- 1.低惯量电机, low-inertia motor 转子转动惯量较一般电机小的控制电机。
- 2.低温试验, low-temperature test 把试样暴露在低温环境中进行的试验，通常用温度和试验持续时间表示严酷等级。
- 1.低温等离［子］体, low-temperature plasma
- 2.低能电子衍射, low-energy electron diffraction, LEED
- 3.低耗［共振］腔, low-loss resonator
- 4.低能核反应, low-energy nuclear reaction
- 5.微光成象,low-light-level imaging
- 1.低周疲劳强度, low-cycle endurance limit, low- cycle fatigue strength
- 2.低压厂用配电盘,low-voltage station service distribu- tion board
- 3.低压厂用电接线, low-voltage station system scheme
- 4.低压母线, low-tension bus
- 5.低压电器, low-voltage apparatus
- 6.低压供电,low-voltage power supply
the lowest of the low
the people regarded as the most immoral or socially inferior of all 品德最差或社会最底层的人，社会渣滓
Middle English: from Old Norse lágr, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch laag, also to lie
Old English hlōwan, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch loeien, from an Indo-European root shared by Latin clamare 'to shout'