- 3. The crowd in Robinson's Coffee-House was thinning, but only by degrees.
1. being the only one; single and isolated from others;
2. exclusive of anyone or anything else;
- "she alone believed him"
- "cannot live by bread alone"
- "I'll have this car and this car only"
- synonym： alone(p)
1. and nothing more;
2. without any others being included or involved;
3. with nevertheless the final result;
- "He arrived only to find his wife dead"
- "We won only to lose again in the next round"
4. in the final outcome;
- "These news will only make you more upset"
5. except that;
- "It was the same story; only this time she came out better"
6. never except when;
7. as recently as;
- "I spoke to him only an hour ago"