- 1. Women who put off having a baby often make the best mothers.
- 2. I'm not going to be put off with that excuse.
- 3. Please put off all the lights as you leave the building.
- 4. Please put off your shoes before entering this holy building.
- 5. The appointment was put off because of his illness.
1. hold back to a later time;
- "let's postpone the exam"
2. cause to feel intense dislike or distaste
3. take away the enthusiasm of
4. cause to feel embarrassment;
- "The constant attention of the young man confused her"
5. avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues);
- "He dodged the issue"
- "she skirted the problem"
- "They tend to evade their responsibilities"
- "he evaded the questions skillfully"