1. an official written record of names or events or transactions
- synonym： registry
2. (music) the timbre that is characteristic of a certain range and manner of production of the human voice or of different pipe organ stops or of different musical instruments
3. a book in which names and transactions are listed
4. (computer science) memory device that is the part of computer memory that has a specific address and that is used to hold information of a specific kind
5. an air passage (usually in the floor or a wall of a room) for admitting or excluding heated air from the room
6. a regulator (as a sliding plate) for regulating the flow of air into a furnace or other heating device
7. a cashbox with an adding machine to register transactions; used in shops to add up the bill
- synonym： cash register
1. record in writing; enter into a book of names or events or transactions
2. record in a public office or in a court of law;
- "file for divorce"
- "file a complaint"
- synonym： file
3. enroll to vote;
- "register for an election"
4. be aware of;
- "Did you register any change when I pressed the button?"
- synonym： record
5. indicate a certain reading; of gauges and instruments;
6. have one's name listed as a candidate for several parties
- synonym： cross-file
7. show in one's face;
- "Her surprise did not register"
8. manipulate the registers of an organ
9. send by registered mail;
- "I'd like to register this letter"
10. enter into someone's consciousness;
- "Did this event register in your parents' minds?"
- 2. 检录员