- 2. He was the ultimate arbiter on both theological and political matters.
- 5. Caviar and oysters on ice are generally considered the ultimate luxury foods.
1. furthest or highest in degree or order; utmost or extreme;
- "the ultimate achievement"
- "the ultimate question"
- "man's ultimate destiny"
- "the ultimate insult"
- "one's ultimate goal in life"
- antonym： proximate
2. being the last or concluding element of a series;
- "the ultimate sonata of that opus"
- "a distinction between the verb and noun senses of `conflict' is that in the verb the stress is on the ultimate (or last) syllable"
3. being the ultimate or elemental constituents of anything;
- "the elemental stuff of...out of which the many forms of life have been molded"- Jack London
- "the ultimate ingredients of matter"
- "his proposal is elegantly simple"
- synonym： elemental