- 2. The closure of the mine was the single most important factor in the town's decline.
- 4. Poor economic policies led to a long period of stagnation and decline.
1. change toward something smaller or lower
- synonym： diminution
2. a condition inferior to an earlier condition; a gradual falling off from a better state
3. a gradual decrease; as of stored charge or current
- synonym： decay
4. a downward slope or bend
1. grow worse;
- "Conditions in the slum worsened"
- synonym： worsen
2. refuse to accept;
3. show unwillingness towards;
- "he declined to join the group on a hike"
- synonym： refuse
4. grow smaller;
5. go down;
- "The roof declines here"
6. go down in value;
7. inflect for number, gender, case, etc., "in many languages, speakers decline nouns, pronouns, and adjectives"