- 1. He was diagnosed as severely dyslexic but extraordinarily bright.
- 2. The American continent's geography severely limited the lines of attack.
- 3. Nearly a third of the children were severely underweight.
- 4. Nerves became severely frayed when air traffic problems delayed the flight.
- 5. An aircraft overshot the runway and was severely damaged.
1. to a severe or serious degree;
- "fingers so badly frozen they had to be amputated"
- "badly injured"
- "a severely impaired heart"
- "is gravely ill"
- "was seriously ill"
2. with sternness; in a severe manner;
- "`No,' she said sternly"
- "peered severely over her glasses"
3. causing great damage or hardship;
- "industries hit hard by the depression"
- "she was severely affected by the bank's failure"