- 1. Spending on books has been severely curtailed.
- 2. Food supplies were severely depleted.
- 3. Those responsible for this crime will be severely punished.
- 4. The officers were severely reprimanded for their unprofessional behaviour.
- 5. The film was severely cut up by many reviewers.
1. to a severe or serious degree;
- "fingers so badly frozen they had to be amputated"
- "badly injured"
- "a severely impaired heart"
- "is gravely ill"
- "was seriously ill"
2. with sternness; in a severe manner;
- "`No,' she said sternly"
- "peered severely over her glasses"
3. causing great damage or hardship;
- "industries hit hard by the depression"
- "she was severely affected by the bank's failure"